Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Staging

Hey Y'all!

I am sitting in Philadelphia, my last night in the US, awaiting the joy of vaccinations and medication upon the morning and two 8 hour flights thereafter.  =)
We sat in a meeting for almost 7 hours today, which was just joyous.  I have learned of the restrictions I have on this blog, so if you would like some side updates with more details (probably some more genuine emotions) PLEASE email me at CTKnighton@gmail.com and I will send out mass emails that are more appropriate for private reading.
This blog will still be where most of my news and pictures get posted.

Speaking of news, here goes:

13 of the 35 members going to Rwanda were initially placed in different country, and extracted due to civil unrest.  They already have a year of experience under their belt, so it has been really nice to have them around for questions and tips.

When I arrived at my room (aroud midnight) last night, I discovered that my roommate was the same girl who was running the Yahoo and Facebook groups, and I had, in fact, been in contact with her for a while!  She's a blast. 
Many of the volunteers are vocalists, and we have been singing up and down town.  One kid has even trained in opera.  (very exciting)

so this morning was really chill - walked around about 2 miles looking for the CVS that was 3 blocks away.  I finally had a Phily cheesesteak sandwich and this cool open-air market that was, in fact, in a building. 

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

After lunch, roomie and I chilled for a bit, collected paperwork, and then went downstairs for processing.  we were, annoyingly early, and had to leave and come back.  annoying when you're uber-ready.  when we finally got going, I discovered my inclination to sass in situations of high stress is much stronger than my desire to be professional.  none of the other PCT's (trainee's) minded, but I think I confused one of the staff.  but my awesome roomie has my back.  =)

after the Long afternoon of paperwork, about 12 of us met for dinner in the lobby and walked around looking for food.  we found an high class Asian restaurant called Tazia's

http://lymichaelsrestaurant.com/default.aspx

delicious food.  still have some of the chicken in my room.  it was all like asain tapas - but not really dim sum.  ended up sharing / eating   Pan Tossed Calamari with Pepper- Coriander Seasoning ; salmon and cream cheese sushi; Vegetable Tempura; Chicken Roti; and General’s Chicken - Lightly Battered Chicken, Ginger Garlic Sauce. 

I have really enjoyed my last few moments on the phone with people.  I am also starting a, what I hope will be fairly consistent, reading regimen.  I am looking forward to adding a joint venture with Mom and Charlynn in about 11 days.  =D

ooh!  agenda!
6:00 wake up, roll out of bed, eat breakfast
6:45 get downstairs and checked out by
7:00 bus arrives and we all try to pile on with our luggage
7:20ish - leave for clinic
9ish - get shots
10:30ish - leave for JFK international airport
3:00  check in
5:50 - leave for Brussels!!!

we land in rwanda around 7 pm on Oct 8th.

ok, i think that's about it for now.
again, PLEASE email me for the additional information/thoughts I can't post here.

love you all!

 - Tenderness, put my heart to rest;
Your tenderness hits me to the bone.
Tenderness, when my head's a mess
Your tenderness keeps me coming home

No comments: