Tuesday, December 8, 2009

when you can see the finish line, you realize how much further you have to go.

Ok, first things first. Appendix to my gift list:

- Any kind of packet you can get from a restaurant – ketchup, seasonings, mayo, mustard (especially mustard!), hot sauce (yay taco bell!), salt, pepper, etc.
- nuts. Almonds, cashews, mixed nuts… for snacking (protein supplements)
- tuna packets – not cans, too heavy
- pretty much anything protein. Even just protein bars b/c that’s what I will be lacking here.
- NOTHING I HAVE TO PUT IN A MICROWAVE I know this sounds silly, but many people have gotten microwave popcorn or similar things. Not useful here.

As for the rest of life, sitting through the food and nutrition session today brought to mind a whole slough of issues I wish they would have addressed Way earlier, And given us more answers for.
For instance – even though we have a move in allowance, and can buy pretty much anything we need – where exactly does one find small charcoal stoves. Or gas cans. Or charcoal for that matter. And how are we going to transport all the things we get from Kigali to our sites. Further more, if we are going to Kigali for swearing in and only staying for 24 hours, how are we supposed to go shopping to Get all of our stuff (that we will then cart back to the training site for an other week).
We also talked about how to make gardens – and how to teach people to make gardens. And this included some kind of compost. Which made me realize, what the heck am I supposed to do with trash? I know some people burn theirs, but is someone going to show me how? Where do I dig the ditch? Do I burn it in my backyard, or do I take it somewhere? What about stuff that doesn’t burn, like tin cans? Who am I supposed to ask for things like this? Why don’t we cover This kind of stuff in language and cross culture class?

EVERYBODY GIVE YOU GARBAGE MAN A CHRISTMAS CARD! You are So lucky to have him!

Also, we have been given a booklet on “PCV roles” to present. There are 6 roles, and about 40-45 pages to explain each role. In groups, we have 10 minutes to present each role. Honest to pete. This was the one part of Peace Corps that I was worried about. I know how to teach, I can fend for myself with the food, even if it means eating a LOT of PBJ sandwiches. I kept asking the other PCVs how we were going to be expected to work on secondary projects and they promised me we would be trained. Well here it is – 10 minutes on 6 topics presented by amateurs.

Between the new food concerns, the shopping and transport issues, and now a highly disappointing training session – I’m actually reaching a ‘do I really want to do this?’ stage.
I know things will work out. They always do. And God has his hand on all the details of my life. But I’ve been concerned recently about how stuck in the moment I am – and seeing nothing but cliffs, moats, and metaphorical pitfalls does not encourage me to look up more often.

On an up note – family sent me Christmas pictures, which I leave open in a window the entire time I’m online. Yay snow. Yay lights and trees. Yay people I love. And some cadets I don’t know…

Language test on Sat. fortunately, we talked the coordinator into making us a study guide. Very helpful.
Running out of time and things to say.

Love you!
Write me!

Next on will be better, I promise. =)

2 comments:

Maja K said...

My beauty,
Tonight look up at the stars and the moon. They are beautiful and pure and in order. By the power of his word, God holds them in place. Clear your mind of all the trash. Focus on the beauty. You shine!!
Love you forever,
Mama

Morgan said...

Wow. I never had to think about what was happening to our trash when we were in Iraq, although in some places, we did have to burn our poop every day (it doesn't decompose on its own when burried in sand). It was every bit as disgusting as it sounds.